Tuesday, October 13, 2009

How it Started!

About 33 years ago in 1982 (or 3) during the days when computers were just beginning to be invented, I was on holiday in Shropshire with my son Sam, who was 7 and a half years old. Luke had just got his first computer, an Acorn and he loved playing games on it and finding out about Robots.

One morning we were walking on the top of Offa’s Dyke which divides England and Wales and is very, very old. I found myself telling Luke the strange and wonderful adventure of Alex and the creatures that used to live under the Dyke – and probably still do. When we got home I wrote the story into a book and he began to draw and colour the pictures of the Wygnet’s story.

Then, one day I put the book away. Then, another day Luke grew up. He made a robot himself and eventually got an MSc in Artificial Intelligence.

Not long ago I opened a drawer and found Alex in Woffaland staring up at me and the Wygnet creatures inside the book said Get us out of here! It’s time you took us stuck in this book out into the world!

So I did and here it is. Let’s start by telling you about the Wygnets ... Here is a picture of them drawn by Sam

You'll meet them in a minute but first of all come and meet Alex Rayner ...

No comments: